What to Do After an Out of State Car Accident

following a crash

The aftermath of any kind of car accident can be difficult to manage, but a crash occurring when you are out of state brings additional problems. Since the collision happened in another jurisdiction, you must comply with the rules of the state in which the accident took place. That includes where you must file your claim.

Insurance company regulations are similar in most states, as companies know that drivers often cross state lines. However, minimum insurance liability limits vary by state. The bottom line is that how an insurance claim plays out when an out of state accident is involved depends very much on individual circumstances. Contact an established out of state auto collision attorney to learn more about what to do after a n out of state car accident. 

What to Expect Following an Out of State Auto Crash

Many of the actions you should take in the event of an out of state car accident are the same as if the incident occurred in your home state. If you and your passengers are not seriously hurt, you must call the police to report and the accident. You should also call 911 if anyone involved in the crash is injured.

As with any accident, you should take photos or videos of the scene and get the names and contact information of any witnesses. You must also notify your insurance company and obtain the insurance information for the other parties involved in the crash.

No Fault vs. Tort States

Massachusetts is a no-fault state, which means your own insurance company pays the medical claims, not the insurance company of the other driver involved. If your accident occurs in a no-fault state, the process is similar.

If you have an accident in a so-called tort state, though, you may have to pursue compensation from the driver who caused the accident and is considered at fault. Depending on the situation, the state may consider you partially or even completely at fault, which means your compensation is limited or denied.  

Importance of Having Repairs Made

If your vehicle is badly damaged, you may have no choice about having repairs made locally. It is often a good idea to contact your insurance company for assistance with this, as they may have repair shops they work with across the country.

Your individual insurance coverage and the circumstances of the accident determine whether the company would pay for towing and the extent of the necessary repairs. Even if you do not have collision coverage on your vehicle, the other driver’s insurance company may pay for repairs if that driver is considered at-fault. 

If you were injured or your car severely damaged in an out of state accident, you could need the services of an experienced Boston car accident attorney. Call our office today to schedule a consultation.